- Portfolio transformation to natural and climate-friendly products
- Building capabilities through a series of acquisitions
- Demonstrates innovation speed through new launches
The company has made significant progress towards this goal by adopting sustainability as a guiding business principle, leveraging technology platforms, creating more system solutions, and implementing an ambitious acquisition strategy. In 2021, the latter included the acquisition of the Swiss plant extract producer Botanica and the cosmetic delivery systems company Infinitec Activos. Speed of innovation has also led to numerous new product launches, which are being highlighted during the in-cosmetics global. This leading cosmetic tradeshow for personal care ingredients is currently taking place in Paris from 5 to 7 April.
The Care Solutions business line supports the continued portfolio shift of Evonik’s life science division Nutrition & Care towards system solutions. These are characterized by high growth prospects and above average margin potential. The division Nutrition & Care aims to increase its share of system solutions from 20 percent today to more than 50 percent by 2030.
“The only way forward is sustainability and performance. And we cannot do it alone. Our M&A activities combined with own R&D capabilities have led to enabling technology platforms that we are making available to our customers to jointly develop the sustainable beauty products of tomorrow,” says Yann d'Hervé, head of Evonik's Care Solutions business line.
The acquisitions of Botanica and Infinitec Activos in 2021 follow those in previous years of innoHealth (2020), Wilshire Technologies (2020), Dr. Straetmans (2017) and ALKION Biopharma (2016).
These companies bring complementary technology to Evonik and reinforce innovation capabilities. A recent example draws on synergies from Wilshire Technologies and within the Nutrition & Care division to use lipid technology across a broad range of medical, cosmetic, and cleaning applications. Recently Evonik announced the construction of a commercial-scale plant for rhamnolipid biosurfactants. This special class of biobased, biodegradable lipids will help Evonik’s customers to develop more sustainable personal care products.
Further Evonik highlights at the in-cosmetics global include:
- Net-zero emollient TEGOSOFT® LO MB for everyday skincare applications is a natural alternative to mineral oil. It is 100 percent vegetable-based from a renewable feedstock and is produced through green chemistry (biocatalysis). This carbon neutral solution creates a skin feel comparable to mineral oil, helping formulators meet the demands of their consumers for more sustainable solutions without sacrificing sensory benefits.
- New ceramides and sphingolipids. In the past six months Evonik has used its expertise in ceramides to launch four new products: SPHINOX® Defenda, SPHINOX® Lift, SK-INFLUX® Evolve MB, and RHEASOME® CeraBoost. The latter is based on a combination of a natural, biotech-derived delivery system with active ingredients, capable of boosting the skin's own ceramide synthesis and replenishing skin lipids from within.
- Recent launches of botanicals and bioactives: Expanding Evonik’s active ingredients portfolio to include botanical extracts, cholesterol specialities and peptides.
- The largest and most advanced delivery system portfolio for the personal care and beauty industry through the acquisition of Infinitec Activos. Generating new concepts and enhancing scientifically substantiated consumer cosmetic trends.
- For product protection, a new digital tool on the platform intoBeauty allows tailor-made preservation recommendations that suit individual cosmetic formulations. A new technology concept is also available for natural preservation solutions for challenging systems.
- The broad portfolio of AEROSIL®, SIPERNAT® and SPHERILEX® enables the production of innovative and sustainable products, e.g. "waterless" formulations which require less or even no water. The technology supports a reduction of water consumption. Formulations are used in solid care products such as dry shampoo and lipstick, and in special powders that consumers can mix with water via a refill concept, e.g. in soap, shampoo and shower gel.
The Nutrition & Care division is one of Evonik’s three growth divisions and the home of the biotechnology excellence centre. Innovation power at Nutrition & Care stems from a clear focus on sustainability, which also drives its portfolio transformation. Evonik’s Nutrition & Care division uses fermentation technologies across a range of other high growth markets including sustainable animal nutrition, medical devices, advanced food ingredients and pharmaceutical drug products.
Meet us at in-cosmetics global booth F30
Visit Botanica at booth U20
Find out more at our technical seminars
Stepping ahead with high performing sustainable ingredients for modern rinse-off formulations
6 April, 12:30-13:00
Speaker: Dr Stefan Liebig
Convenient yet effective: modern solutions for antimicrobial product protection
6 April, 13:25-13:55
Speaker: Dr Kathrin Brandt
Evonik is one of the world leaders in specialty chemicals. The company is active in more than 100 countries around the world and generated sales of €15 billion and an operating profit (adjusted EBITDA) of €2.38 billion in 2021. Evonik goes far beyond chemistry to create innovative, profitable and sustainable solutions for customers. About 33,000 employees work together for a common purpose: We want to improve life today and tomorrow.
About Nutrition & Care
The focus of the business of the Nutrition & Care division is on health and quality of life. It develops differentiated solutions for active pharmaceutical ingredients, medical devices, nutrition for humans and animals, personal care, cosmetics, and household cleaning. In these resilient end markets, the division generated sales of €3.56 billion in 2021 with about 5,300 employees.
In so far as forecasts or expectations are expressed in this press release or where our statements concern the future, these forecasts, expectations or statements may involve known or unknown risks and uncertainties. Actual results or developments may vary, depending on changes in the operating environment. Neither Evonik Industries AG nor its group companies assume an obligation to update the forecasts, expectations or statements contained in this release.